Sebastian Volupt Spray Review

Hello, hello! Today I'm reviewing Sebastian Volupt Spray volume-building spray gel. Volupt is Sebastian's newest line, which includes shampoo, conditioner, and Volupt Spray - and it's awesome! This product is descibed as a spray-gel, but I wouldn't say that at all. It has such a light mist and is virtually weightless in hair, but whatevs! The label reads: "VOLUPT SPRAY contains revolutionary cushioning-particles to create hair-raising root volume, leaving a defined hold that stays sumptuous and soft to the touch. With natural bamboo extract. Contains heat protection." Cushioning-particles? Sounds fancy!


I've been using it for a few months now, and I've had no problems with it. It's the lightest "spray-gel" I've ever used, maybe because it's in two parts (you shake it to activate the product). I mist it all over damp hair and either use a paddle or vent brush to dry, or use my round brushes for even more volume. It's also good for layering with other volumizing products. Also, the scent is a bit toward the masculine side, with just a hint of a floral scent. Maybe that's the bamboo I'm smelling. If you've used it (or even smelled it in the store) what do you think?

Anyway, let's take a peek at the ingredients:
Water, PVP, Chitosan, Polyethylene, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Polysorbate 20, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Polysorbate 80, Formic Acid, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance, Propylene Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Bamboo Leaf/Stem Extract, Cactus Flower Extract, Limonene, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Tocopheryl.
And without the fluff:
PVP, Chitosan, Polyethylene, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Polysorbate 20, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Polysorbate 80, Propylene Glycol.
I was kinda surprised with the amount of fragrance and fixative ingredients there are. When you cut through the fluff, this product is pretty simple. PVP is a film-former that gives a slight hold. If you're a health/fitness buff, you may recognize chitosan as the newest star in the diet pill craze. Apparently it's a good fat inhibitor when used in weight-loss supplements, but in this product it's a polysaccharide film-former that coats and strengthens the hair shaft. Polyethylene is a thickening/gelling agent... maybe that's why they call it a spray-gel? The next four ingredients (PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Polysorbate 20, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Polysorbate 80) are all emulsifiers. It's not uncommon to see this many emulsifiers in a product that's in two parts (thats why you have to shake it). And of course one of the most common humectants, propylene glycol.

I definitely recommend that if you have fine hair and want volume, but your hair can't take a lot of product, give this a shot. It's extremely light, and it doesn't take a lot of product to get visible results. People with fine-to-normal hair would also find this useful, either by itself or used with other volumizing products like I said before. I don't think normal-to-thick/coarse hair would really see a difference using this product, but I'm guessing if that's your hair type, you're not really lacking when it comes to volume. As for me, I use it when I blowdry my hair back and away from my face. It gives a nice, natural hold while leaving my hair soft to the touch. I also can't wait to try the shampoo and conditioner, just to try something different.

Sebastian Volupt Spray comes in a 150 ml / 5.07 fl oz. bottle and retails for about 17$

I plan to do some shopping this weekend, maybe if I get enough stuff I'll do a haul! Any recommendations of products I should try? Tell me what's good! I'm always open to trying something new, and now that I'm licensed I can shop at a lot more pro stores now. Anyway, have a good weekend, and take care of your hair!