KMS Makeover Spray Review

Hello everyone! I don't know about you guys, but the weather here in Chicago has been CRAZY lately! Yesterday it was so hot and muggy out I actually had to turn the A/C on, and today it's so cold and rainy I'm turning up the heat! I hope I don't get sick. That would suck. I've already been sick once this year, I think that's enough.


But crazy weather aside, I'm very excited to review this next product: KMS HairPlay Makeover Spray - a matte spray that absorbs excess oil and refreshes your hair in-between shampoos. I'm a big fan of KMS, and one day I just happened to stumble upon this Makeover Spray. The name sounded interesting, so naturally I got it without even reading what it was. You know me: if it sounds cool, I'm getting it. So, when I got home and actually read the label, I was pleasantly surprised to see it was (basically) a dry shampoo. What it does is it absorbs the excess oil in your hair, without the heavy/cakey feeling that some dry shampoos tend to leave. The bottle says it's a matte spray, but I've used it several times (even my mom uses it) and given that the product has no hold, the matte effect is only temporary. Once the product sinks into your hair then it looks normal, neither matte or oily looking.

So what makes this Makeover Spray so good? Let's look at the ingredients. First the entire ingredient list:
Pentane, Hydrofluorocarbon 152a, Alcohol Denat., Rice Starch, Water, Propylene Glycol, Lactic Acid, Glycerin, Grape Fruit Extract, Peppermint Leaf Extract, PCA, Tartaric Acid, Sorbitol, Pyruvic Acid, Malic Acid, Glycolic Acid, Citric Acid, Fragrance.
Now let's see it without the fluff:
Pentane, Hydrofluorocarbon 152a, Alcohol Denat., Rice Starch, Propylene Glycol, Lactic Acid, Glycerin, PCA, Tartaric Acid, Sorbitol, Pyruvic Acid, Malic Acid, Glycolic Acid.
I like that this product isn't loaded with a bunch of fluff. Pentane and Hydrofluorocarbon 152a are propellants that shoot the product out of an aerosol can. Alcohol Denat. (denatured alcohol) can give a product hold and may be drying to hair and skin. This is actually a good thing in a product like this. Rice Starch is an absorbent substance sometimes used in place of talc. Propylene Glycol, PCA, Sorbitol, and Glycerin are humectants that draws in moisture. Lactic, Tartaric, Pyruvic, Malic, and Glycolic Acid are all part of the same group of organic acids known as Alpha-Hydroxy Acids (AHA). They are used to exfoliate, adjust pH, soften skin, and more.

I actually much prefer using Makeover Spray over dry shampoo. I feel like dry shampoos promise too much and only certain people can use certain brands - you know what I mean? Like, my friend Recessionista reviewed Tresemme's new dry shampoo and well, basically hated it - but a lot of her followers commented and said they love it! Dry shampoo is just one of those products that's gonna work differently for everyone. So yeah, Makeover Spray isn't totally a dry shampoo. It's like the diet Coke of dry shampoos - same effect, less mess. By the way, it smells just like the rest of the KMS HairPlay line: polar grape. It has the cool, refreshing scent of peppermint with a hint of grape; I love it! I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a dry shampoo type of product, especially those with finer hair.

KMS HairPlay Makeover Spray comes in a 5.3 oz / 152 g can, and retails for around $15.

Giveaway coming soon! Keep reading, and take care of your hair! ;-)