- Ginger: (Small slice the size of a quarter, peeled). Known to have 12 types of anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, increases circulation, aphrodisiac (woo-hoo! LOL), anticoagulant, fights colds and fatigue, aides in digestion, lowers cholesterol, helps menstruation disorders, natural pain killer.
- Carrot: (One whole carrot. Top and bottom cut off. Can peel if you want, but don't have to). Also known as "Miracle Juice", anemia, balances blood sugar, helps with skin problems and acne, repairs eye health, anti-inflammatory and cancer-fighting, increases fertility, boosts immune system, maintains digestive health and urinary tracts, fights fatigue and bacterial infections, relieves congestion, constipation and water retention.
- Apple: (One entire apple. Unpeeled, seeds, and core- go in juicer. No stem though. I like Honey Crisp, Fuji, Gala, or Pink Lady Apples). Has anti-viral properties, flushes kidneys and liver, cleanses and rejuvenates intestines, immediate source of energy, promotes healthy bones, skin, hair and nails, antioxidant properties, increases memory and brain function, reduces risk of cancer.
- Celery: (One stalk) reduces allergic reactions, lowers blood pressure, balances pH acidity, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer, hydrates and cools the body, nerve tonic- calms the nervous system aiding in insomnia, diuretic and curbs sugar cravings, cleans kidneys, reduces stress and anxiety, strengthens nerve and heart tissue.
- Cucumber: (Slice 1/3 to 1/2. Sometimes I peel it, sometimes I don't). Alkalizes body's pH, regulates blood pressure, builds connective tissue, regulates body temperature, diuretic, reduces water retention, inflammation and puffy eyes, promotes healthy hair growth, relieves sunburn, eczema, psoriasis, and acne, cleanses the liver and gallbladder.
- Lemon: (Slice 1/3 to 1/2. Squeeze juice over your hand to catch the seeds). Alkalizing to the stomach, increases level of enzymes detoxifying carcinogens, wards off colds, digestion, soothes tired feet, dry skin, sore throats, swollen gums, heart burn, anti- inflammatory and anti-cancer.
- Lettuce Greens: (One medium handful... I use Olivia's Organics USDA Organic 50/50 Blend to make my life a little easier, and I can use it for salad too if I don't juice it). These include: Spinach, Tango, Lolla Rossa, Red & Green Romaine, Red and Green Oak, Red and Green Chard, Mizuna, Radicchio, Frisee, Beet Greens, Arugula, Tat-Soi, and Red Mustard. The greens are the Veggie Powerhouse of juicing- abundant in enzymes, helps with blood- sugar regulation and diabetes, cleans the liver, digestive track, intestines and colon, regulates body's pH, fights anemia, anti-inflamatory and anti-cancer (slows down cell division), stops bleeding gums, decreases development of eye problems, prevents osteoporosis, muscle relaxant, maintenance of bone structure health, promotes lung health, antioxidant protection and immune system support, protects your heart, provides energy, improves cellular function, disease prevention, stimulates the natural detoxification process in the body, protects against sun damage and heart disease, cleanses and energizes the blood, shields against potential carcinogens among countless other benefits!
- Fennel: (One layer of the bulb). Blood strengthener, detoxifier, aides in digestion, diuretic and weight loss, prevents nausea, kidney disease, hypertension, calms the mind, releases endorphins.
- Parsley: (Large pinch). Nutritional Powerhouse- cleanses blood, protects against arthritis, halitosis, reduces occurrence of bladder, kidney and urinary tract infections, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer (neutralizes carcinogens and reduces free radical damage), promotes hair growth, heart health, known as an immunity booster, regulates monthly menstrual cycle, increases wound healing.
- Kale: (Not pictured. One Big Leaf. I usually substitute this when I need a change and don't feel like the 50/50 Blend. I try to alternate). The Big Daddy of things to juice! Since I don't like to eat it- I drink it. Anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer (carrys oxygen to blood cells), boosts immune system by resisting infections, wards off cardiovascular disease, guards against illness and cell damage, helps the body develop healthy tissue, bones and teeth, increases muscle contraction and function, nerve transmission and pulse signals throughout the body, protects your eyes from UV sunlight, enables blood clotting to stop bleeding during injuries, helps maintain glowing skin, helps depression, relieves excess menstrual flow. Add a little water to thin it out... filtered if you can. If it's still too thick, add more.
- Ice Cubes- usually about 2-4. Any juice expert will frown upon this and tell you that it's best to drink it room temperature... I am just happy to get it down any way I can.
- Pour into a pint glass (once), fill into a wine glass (twice), fill a martini glass (3 times) or a shot glass (several times)! LOL. Do what you gotta do girl!
- A straw... I use a crazy straw, a bendy straw, put umbrella-ellas in it, whatever works to get it down the fastest! A little secret trick I learned in my sorority days ha ha =).
Always use organic fruits and veggies when possible. If you can't afford them- please see my little grocery store "Cheat Sheet" from The EWG in my previous post.
If you think this is a little too green fro you... start out with a more simple juice at first. Apple and Carrots sweeten the juice, so you can always add more of those. A good basic juice recipe is carrot, apple, cucumber and lemon. As you become more comfortable with juicing- you can add all of the other stuff.
Veggie Wash- Especially for when you can't buy organic!
Juicing for Health- Healing Foods List
The Cadillac of Them All... The Vitamix Juicer/ Blender
Olivia's Organics 50/50 Salad Blend
P.S.- This is what it looks like on a plate before it goes in to the juicer. It's ALL in there! Happy Juicing! xoxo