DIY: Hairflowers

Most people know that I'm a big lover of Hairflowers. I own many many different colours, styles and sizes. I also own several  bows and such, but hairflowers really are my thing.

I can't always find the colours I'm looking for, and most of the time, hairflowers can be pretty expensive aswell. So I decided to try and make some myself.

I bought these at a gardencenter:

I had already removed several flowers here, the big white ones had about 5 of them on one stem. I think these are silk, and one branch was about 3 euros. You can get cheaper onast at Xenos and Action! (I already bought gorgeous RED ones at Action in the meantime)

Then all you need is glue(I used the cheap (dries in a second)ones from Action, it glues ANYTHING) , some yarn and a needle, and a hairpiece. I decided on clickclacks, because they stay in the hair much easier than normal pins. They tend to slide, especially with big flowers. And the alligatorbeaks tnd to draw the flowers away from the head.


You start by getting a flower from the stem, which is pretty easy. Then you press the flower firmly together and cut off the end at the bottom, so it's flat. Then you take 2 pencils(I used eyeliners, hahaha), so you can place the flower on it for the glue to dry. If you dont do that, it'll stick to the place where you place it, and if you don't let them dry right side up, the glue will spread through the silk.

Now hold the flower upside down, and carefully place a bit of glue in the center. Make sure it slides along the little tube inside, to all the pieces will glue together. Don't use too much, because it can cause the flower to discolour! After that, place it carefully on the two pencils, with the glued part between them, so it's resting on the leaves.

After the glue is dried, take some yarn in a similar colour and a clickclack. I used child clockclacks for the smaller ones, in pink, so itll match the flower better and it won't be really visible beneath the flower.

Place the clickclack in a way that the hairflower will be in the right position if you put it in your hair, make sure it's (mostly) covered by the flower.

All you have to do now, is sew the clickclack to the flower. The part where the glue is, can be a bit hard though, so it's easier to sew around it. I advice you to just sew the sides to the flower, each with one thread.At first I sewed ribbons around it, to slide the clockclack through, but that way, it wouldn't close properly anymore. So make sure, you leave the middle part free of yarn. I used 2 stitches at the bottom for the big one, to make sure it wouldn't stick out of my head when closed, and to make sure the clickclack would stay in place. For the pink one, which is tinier, I just made a criscross shape at the top, so it woulnd't slide around.

And that's it! I seems like a long story, but trust me, it's pretty easy :)


I actually started to make these as a gift for Linda, but I made some for myself aswell. I might even make some for giveaways and such :)