Awhile back, I found out the crazy things Himalayan Salt could do (through my mom)... and to be honest, I thought she was completely out of her bird! Believe me when I tell you that I couldn't comprehend how (dry, scratchy, stinging) salt could possibly do all these FAB things like... provide mental clarity, help aches and pains go away, heal acne, detoxify from heavy metals, stimulate the healing process after surgery, and make skin feel soooo soft and yada, yada, yada! It seemed too good to be true... I mean it's just salt, right? Now fast forward a few years later to a Breast Cancer diagnosis at 31 (aka, really just a toxic burden on your body). It was clear to me that things needed to change and I was willing to try just about anything! Anything that wouldn't do anymore damage than dis-ease and conventional cancer treatment had already done. It was only after about a zillion of hours research, numerous 5 lb. bags of salt and countless moon cycles later... that I'm now eating my words... You were right Mom :) This is one of the few things that helped me feel better... and I totally believe the hype!
What Is It?
Back in the day, like way back (500 years before the birth of Christ), Hippocrates- the Father of Medicine noticed a bunch of fishermen soaking their injured hands in seawater. To his surprise, they had very few infections or complications after the salt soaks. So he encouraged his patients to bathe in a warmed seawater (or Sole) treatment he called "thalassotherapy". This special kind of bath encouraged a mineral balance in the blood and a release of toxins between the blood and the water. These days there are various names for this type of therapy: Salt, Himalayan Salt, Crystal Salt, Sole or Brine Bath and is often done in conjunction with certain phases of the moon cycles... known as Moon or Moon Rhythm Bathing. For example, during a Full Moon, healing potential is at it's peak, meaning the mineral absorption is optimized (Full Moon = Healing). During a New Moon, cleansing is at it's peak, meaning the body's ability to internally and externally detoxify itself is at it's highest potential (New Moon = Cleansing).
How It Works:
The difference between a regular Bath, where moisture is actually extracted from the skin and a Himalayan Salt Bath which allows salt to be stored in the layers of the skin and bind water... is that it restores mineral balance in the form of ions via the skin causing natural cell growth in the layers of your living cells. It balances out bio-energetic weak points to activate your body's energy flow by cleaning not only the outside of your body, but the inside as well. So it's naturally rebalancing and recharging. The toxins are then released into the bath water through osmosis, while minerals are absorbed. Who knew?
- The detox effect of a sole (brine) bath is equivalent to that of a 3 day fast!
- Contains over 84 minerals and elements and is know as the purest salt on earth.
- Reduces acidity and inflammation and balances the pH of your skin.
- Produces spiritual and mental balance, relieves stress, lightens negativity and depression, regulates sleep problems and restores all around harmony.
- Helps heal sprains, strains, broken bones, various skin diseases, acne, psoriasis, allergic and recurrent infections, insect bites, blisters, relief from poison ivy, oak or sumac, Stimulates circulation, hydrates dry, scaling, irritated skin, detoxes and increases moisture retention, promotes cellular regeneration, reduces inflammation of the muscles and joints, relaxes muscles and relieves pain and soreness, water retention, arthritis and rheumatism, osteoarthritis, tendinitis, helps the nervous system, gynecological diseases, and can even heal dis-eases or diseases caused by toxins such as Cancer. Impressive, huh?
- Moon Phase Calendar to help you plan.
- Himalayan Pink Salt: about about 2.6 lbs.
- A Bathtub.
- 3 Wash Cloths: (2 to lay across my Ta-Ta's and one for under my Tush).
- A Candle.
- A Glass of Water: to drink.
- Fill tub with about 3 inches of hot water.
- Add your 2.6 lbs. of Himalayan Salt to the tub to dissolve.
- Finish filling tub with very warm, but not hot water (should be slightly above body temperature about 97 degrees F).
- Bathe at least 20-30 minutes trying to keep as much of your body submerged as possible.
- Don't rinse off!
- Allow your body to air dry (Shhh! I cheat by gently dabbing dry).
- No lotion, cream, oil or deodorant afterwards... just let your body breathe.
- Rinse tub.
- Rest for 30 minutes afterwards... you may feel slightly lightheaded or tipsy afterwards (not kidding)... it's due to the detox.
- Since the correct concentration of salt is critical, you need enough to maintain a 1% solution by using about 2.6 lbs for 27-32 gallons of water (a full average sized bathtub). I buy it by the 5 lb. bag, so I just estimate about 1/2 the bag.
- Dry Brush before salt bath to loosen dead skin cells and open pores.
- Don't use any bath additives like shampoos, bubbles, soaps or oils (take a quick shower first if you want).
- Bring a candle; they say combining energies like fire, water, earth and air can be spiritually cleansing.
- A glass of water helps your body release toxins during the bath.
- To make sure I soak my entire body... I have a few little tricks. First I sit up w/ my legs under water, then I slide forward and submerge my torso. Next, I lay on one side and then rotate to the other. There really isn't any method, just do what feels comfortable!
- You don't need to follow the moon cycles to take this bath, it just enhances the effects when you do.
- Please consult a doctor first if you have heart or circulatory problems... it's a little taxing on your circulatory system (hence, the tipsy-ness)!
- I purchase my Himalayan Salt in bulk at Saltworks. Personally, I like the fine grain so I can use it for cooking if I wanted to and it also dissolves faster.
- Since salt is also a disinfectant (very cool), several people can actually use the same water (ew, gross) in case you were ever wondering ;).
- The Sole bath water will remain at a constant temperature (if a true 1% solution is used) due to the biophysical composition of the salt is so strong that it actually causes the molecules to move in a constant rhythm. When this happens, organ functions begin to resonate with the rhythm activating the body's self-healing powers. Pretty cool, huh?
- The temperature and the makeup of the brine bath is comparable to that of the amniotic fluid in which the embryo floats in the prenatal state... making us feel warm, comforted, relaxed and safe.
- It's the often the reason why we are so drawn to the ocean- the negative ions are believed to produce biochemical reactions that increase levels of the mood chemical- serotonin, helping to alleviate depression, relieve stress, and boost our energy making us feel better about ourselves.
Image Via. Source. Source. Source. Source.