REVIEW: Kinky-Curly Original Curling Custard Natural Styling Gel

Goal: To find a truly natural/ organic hair styling product to eliminate frizz and enhance shine... similar to a hair creme, serum or gel.
Brand: Kinky-Curly
Product: Original Curling Custard
Description: CURLING CUSTARD TM gives moisture and curl definition, hold and brilliant shiny hair all in one product! It reduces bulk, defines & elongates your curls helping them to 'hang' better. CURLING CUSTARD TM will bring out the natural curl or wave pattern you never knew you had! It is an advanced botanical formula made with ALL NATURAL ingredients that nourish and strengthen the hair. Utilizing the humectant properties of the Agave Nectar, CURLING CUSTARD TM will give weight to your hair, define your curls, remove frizz, provide long lasting hold and shine without ever being greasy, crunchy or drying to your hair. This high performance product is very concentrated so a little goes a long way.
Ingredients: Botanical infusion of water, horsetail, chamomile, nettle and marshmallow, organic aloe vera juice, agave nectar extract, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e), citric acid, potassium sorbate and natural fragrance.
  • Price: $ 17.00 / 29.99
  • Size: 8 oz./ 16 oz.
  • Texture: Like a silky gel/ serum. Not really stiff or sticky at all.
  • Scent: Smells like dessert... in a jar!
  • Visual Attractiveness: I really heart the old-school styled writing... it's quite charming! Gel color is a little off, but hey- it's natural.
  • How Much I Needed: Like LESS than a pea sized amount. You can always add more. (PS-why is everything always compared to a pea???). Lol.
  • How Long I've Used It: About 2 months.
  • Where to Find: Whole Foods Market, Kinky-Curly.com
  • Sample Sizes: Nope, not to my knowledge. I wish they did though!
  • Acquired: Purchased.
  • Customer Service: I have to admit that I was very hesitant about reviewing this product at first, due to the words "Natural Fragrance" in the ingredient's list (usually where all the toxic rebels lurk). Everywhere I've read, they claim to the hills that everything in this product is in fact natural. I've been holding off for several months (since the July of 2010 actually) due to the fact that I've been trying to get a hold of the company to find out what it is exactly, and if it's truly natural... still with NO RESPONSE! I wanted to hear it for myself. I've emailed on several occasions from my personal email address and also representing the blog. I have even scoured the Internet to find a phone number (which is nowhere to be found on their website BTW). When I called, the representative told me to wait 2-3 weeks for an email response- that they didn't have access to that information. It's now 6 mths. later. Really??? On their website it clearly says in caps: "***DUE TO THE HIGH VOLUME OF EMAILS WE ARE UNABLE TO ANSWER EACH AND EVERY ONE***" which says to me... each and every one of my emails & phone calls AREN'T important to you, so I can write away all I want, and you will never respond!! Sounds shady to me.. I don't like that one bit! Such a shame because it's such a great product from a company with such poor customer service! Hopefully someone will contact me in regards to my questions soon, and I will update as soon as I can. I really hate to leave this kind of feedback, but it's the truth. So sorry Kinky-Curly!     
  • Loved: The smell, that it gets the job done, and that I have to use so little of it.
  • Hated: The words "Natural Fragrance" in the ingredients list. The Customer Service. The price... expensive for gel! Sometimes it can make your hair greasy if you accidentally use too much!
  • The GG's Final Thoughts: My advice is to buy the smaller one first and see if you like it. Takes a little practice to find the perfect amount of product for your hair. I don't use this on wet hair like they recommend. I start at the ends of my hair and use it as a polishing/ finishing product. My mom actually bought this to use as a setting lotion and didn't like it at all. She doesn't really have frizzy hair though. I on the other hand, LOVE it. If you're looking for a crunchy "Guidette-Style" gel, this is definitely NOT the product. Who knew though? It says gel, and gels are usually crunchy. In the past, I was a huge fan of Sun-Silk Hair Cremes (to calm my hair down), and always had to use a separate Shine/ Anti-Frizz Serum also. So this is like a two-in-one product for me. It gives awesome curl-definition when you wanna go curly and smoothes your hair out when you wanna rock it straight! Best of both worlds, but only if you don't use too much!