REVIEW: Mexitan Dark Tanning Oil


Goal: To find a truly natural sun tanning lotion / oil.
Brand: Mexitan
Product: Dark Tanning Oil
Description: All Natural, No Chemicals, with GREEN TEA to reduce sunburn risk! This formula is also ideal for use as a moisturizing oil! This perfect blend of oils is an old secret recipe of the natives of Acapulco. Celebrating 15 years of it's original formula- no emulsifiers, no fragrances, no preservatives (parabens) and hypoallergenic! Each ingredient serves its own special purpose in nourishing, protecting and moisturizing the skin, while promoting a dark, rich tan. Great for outdoor or indoor tanning! Doesn't contain mineral oil so it won't harm tanning bed equipment. Labels say "Biodegradable" and "Eco-Friendly" for acceptance in eco-nature parks. Reef Friendly. Waterproof. Fresh product! Mexitan is top=rated tanning oil by the Environmental Working Group!
Ingredients: Sunflower Oil, Green Tea Extract, Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter, Almond Oil, Lanolin, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin-E), Eucalyptus Oil, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin-C).
  • Price: $ 16.95
  • Size: 8 oz.
  • Texture: Oil
  • Scent: Herbal, like eucalyptus.
  • Visual Attractiveness: Cute label... not crazy about the gold and white cap, could use an update.
  • How Much I Needed: Less than I thought, be easy with it- spreads well!
  • How Long I've Used It: 3 times.
  • Where to Find: Mexitan Products
  • Sample Sizes: Yes, but not of this product... wish they did though!
  • Acquired: Sent to me to be reviewed with my honest opinion.
  • Customer Service: Ron, the owner of Mexitan was super-nice! You can totally tell that they really care about the ingredients, the quality of their products and the environment! Read the amazing story behind the brand here. 
  • Loved: The healthy tan I got, how my skin felt after using it and how clean the ingredients are.
  • Hated: That it didn't smell like coconut like I want it too. Website could use an update :)
  • The GG's Final Thoughts: First let me start by saying that this product came on to the scene the year I graduated from HS, circa 1996... and they are still using the same exact ingredients. So. It's withstood the hands of time! It's really rare to see a company who hasn't reformulated it's product several times over, especially in 15 years! The Dark Tanning Oil (along with all their other products) has an expiration date, which means it's fresh- always nice to see in a beauty product. Loved how I used way less than I thought- all over my body, even on my face (with no breakouts, yay)! It's only greasy if you use too much. I have to admit that I wished it smelled a bit more like suntan lotion and coconuts though, but it doesn't smell too earthy either. One huge reason I like this aside from the obvious is that many of us are said to be extremely deficient in Vitamin D and don't know it, especially women with Breast Cancer (aka, moi). Apparently natural sunlight is the best form of the vitamin and is absolutely essential for good health. So, in order to expose myself to a healthy dose of rays... I specifically don't wear sunscreen under my makeup (I'm usually indoors all day), look for makeup with it in, or freak out if I don't have it on when I'm only outside for a little while. I also don't burn very easily though- thanks to my spicey Italian heritage =). Keep in mind that I am in no way a doctor, but this is my belief- my story, and I'm sticking to it. There are tons of research articles out there on the connection between Breast Cancer and Vitamin D. Natural News is a great starting place to back up this claim if you'd like to look further into it. When I am outside for the day though, I do use some sunscreen or mix this with the sunscreen. This has absolutely NONE in it, so you may burn. Also, if you still go tanning- it says that you can use this in indoor tanning beds which is kinda cool- usually you can't with outdoor lotions and oils. My tanning bed days are over though :( only real, natural Vitamin D for me Baby! I would definitely purchase this again. It's been 3 weeks since the first time I used this and I still have such a nice, dark, bronzy glow... annnnnnd I Dry Brush everyday. Thanks for such a FAB product Mexitan! Heart you! xo The GGG (Golden) Glamorganic Goddess, Lol.