Redken Extreme CAT Review

Hello boys and girls! Sorry for not posting sooner, I've just been super busy lately! I got all my shaggy hair cut off, lightened it to super blonde, and I started my final semester of cosmo yesterday. However, since the salon at the school I go to is being renovated, I'll be spending half the time at the main campus for theory work, and for clients I'll be at another campus that has a (much nicer) salon. Anywho, off to the review!


Today I'm reviewing Redken Extreme CAT, a product that I've heard SO many good things about but I always forgot about it whenever I went shopping. So the other day I went to Marshall Salon Services in Villa Park and I got it! That was also when I bought Blown Away 09. I've used it a few times already and I really like the results! Let me tell you all about CAT, straight from the bottle: "CAT protein restructuring treatment reconditions distressed hair. It provides combability, body, and shine to help prevent further damage." I think CAT really does do what it says, but you have to use it correctly. Note: CAT is a protein treatment, NOT a deep conditioner!! Protein treatments work inside the hair shaft, while deep conditioners work more on the outside to smooth the cuticle. I highly suggest using conditioner with this product, because it won't condition your hair.

Now what makes this stuff work? Actually, compared to other treatments like this, there aren't very many ingredients. The first five are: Water, Magnesium Sulfate, Laureth-23, Taurine, and Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein. Magnesium Sulfate has many different uses: It's used in IV's to delay or stop labor, it's known as Epsom Salts when it's in a crystalline form, and it's also used as a mild surfactant, just to name a few. My guess is it's used as a surfactant to make sure there are no impurities in your hair... but I will definitely look into this more. Laureth-23 is an emulsifier. Taurine is an amino acid that has benefits in the human body... but I'm not quite sure what it does for your hair. It might be possible that Taurine could help strengthen your hair, but again more research is needed-and until there is I'm remaining skeptical. Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein is a protein made from wheat that was turned partly into water through hydrolysis. It replicates the elasticity and strength found in healthy hair.

There is something annoying about CAT--the bottle. When I try and use it in the shower, the bottle gets really slippery and hard to hold. I have to use both hands just to spray it, so that's really inconvenient. But other than that I have to say CAT really is a good protein treatment. Especially if your hair is as... unhealthy as mine. =P

Redken Extreme CAT comes in a 5 fl oz./150 ml bottle, and retails for around $16. Have you used this? Comment and tell me about it, I'd love to hear your experiences! Talk to you guys later and take care of your hair!